Burrumbuttock is home to the award winning Wirraminna Environmental Education Centre. The name ‘Burrumbuttock’ is believed to have Wiradjuri origins and the word ‘Burrum’ usually refers to water. Local belief, however, has the meaning as an indigenous term for ‘Bullock’s Backbone’. From 1839 Burrumbuttock Station was originally 30,000 acres starting at Jindera gap passing through Burrumbuttock towards Walbundrie. Burrumbuttock was developed on a crossroad to Walbundrie, Brocklesby, Walla Walla and Howlong.
In 1870 the first Holy Cross Lutheran Church was dedicated, and in 1880 the Farmers Inn Hotel was established as a meeting place for locals and those passing through. A post office and school followed,. The school has now developed an award-winning environmental education program through Wirraminna Environmental Education Centre.
Wirraminna Environmental Education Centre began in 1995 on 4 hectares of public land in Burrumbuttock, which was originally a stock reserve and public watering place, with a large dam (constructed in 1902 by Chinese labourers).
Interpretive signage and a self-guided walk around the park tell the environmental story. A strong environmental education program is run every year for regional schools. The rammed earth Discovery Centre is used by school and community groups and contains an aquarium for native fish and a colony of threatened Southern Corroboree frogs.
If you are a Burrumbuttock resident please click here for further information.